Maryland Medical Marijuana - Do's and Don'ts
Maryland’s medical marijuana program was created in 2013 after a bill was passed giving a green light to the sale of medical cannabis to qualifying patients. The program is overseen by the Maryland Medical Cannabis Commission (MMCC) that regulates the marijuana industry. As a medical marijuana patient, it’s important for you to know the ins and outs of navigating Maryland’s marijuana landscape.
Maryland Medical Marijuana Do’s
- DO register online with the state before you’re examined by a certified physician. This is the first critical step on your way to getting a Maryland medical marijuana card.
- DO make an appointment with a physician as soon as you’ve registered on line for a medical marijuana card. Your doctor will determine if you have a qualifying medical condition and give you a medical marijuana certification if you do suffer from one of the qualifying conditions.
- DO have proof of Maryland residency ready for your state application. You’ll be asked to present it.
- DO remember that the state of Maryland accepts medical marijuana recommendations from dentists, nurse practitioners, podiatrists and nurse midwives, as well as MDs.
- DO research medical marijuana dispensaries in your area. Ask your trusted friends, family members, and co-workers for recommendations.
- DO bring your medical marijuana card and government-issued photo ID on all your dispensary visits.
- DO ask questions every step of the way. As a new medical marijuana patient the more knowledge you have, the better your decisions will be.
- DO keep track of your allotment. Your 30-day rolling supply may be plenty, or you may find that you need more. If this happens, talk to your doctor about changing your monthly medical marijuana allotment.
Maryland Medical Marijuana Don’ts
- DON’T even think about cultivating your own medical marijuana. It’s still illegal for patients in Maryland to grow their own cannabis plants.
- DON’T sell your medical marijuana to anyone. You could be arrested.
- DON’T lose track of your allotment and what cannabis products you’ve purchased over every 30 day period.
- DON’T forget to renew your Maryland medical marijuana card before it expires. It’s valid for one year.
- DON’T try to purchase medical marijuana at a dispensary if you’re not a patient. Recreational marijuana hasn’t come to Maryland yet.
If you’re confused about anything to do with medical marijuana and the Maryland law, ask our highly trained Personal Service Providers at Nature’s Medicines.
For more information on medical marijuana in Maryland, see also:
How To Choose A Dispensary In Maryland
Maryland Medical Marijuana Laws
How To Get A Medical Marijuana (MMJ) Card In Maryland
How To Buy Medical Marijuana In Maryland
Maryland Allotment of Medical Marijuana
History of Medical Marijuana In Maryland
Crofton Medical Marijuana Certifiers
Ellicott City Medical Marijuana Certifiers