How To Get A Medical Marijuana Card In Massachusetts
In 2012, Massachusetts voters approved the use of medical marijuana with legislation known as “An Act for the Humanitarian Medical Use of Marijuana.” It gave patients the right to use and purchase medical marijuana in Massachusetts as long as they were diagnosed with a qualifying medical condition by their physician.
First Steps To Getting Your Medical Marijuana Card In Massachusetts
Make an appointment with your doctor to discuss any qualifying medical conditions you may have. It’s very important to get a proper diagnosis. Massachusetts has one of the most generous lists of qualifying conditions for medical marijuana patients. They include:
- ALS, or Lou Gehrig's disease
- Crohn’s Disease
- Hepatitis C
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Any debilitating condition diagnosed by a registered physician, submitted in writing
- “Any debilitating condition” including:
- Anxiety, depression, and mental health disorders such as panic disorder, insomnia, depression, and PTSD
- Chronic pain, such as arthritis, fibromyalgia, Lyme Disease, and sinusitis
- Digestive problems, like colitis, diverticulitis, constipation, and irritable bowel syndrome
- Disorders, diseases and conditions like alcoholism, Bell’s Palsy, eczema, and sickle cell anemia
Once you’re certified by your physician with a medical marijuana qualifying condition, you’ll receive a PIN that will allow you to go online to register for the state medical marijuana program. To complete your registration as a medical marijuana patient, you’ll also need a current Massachusetts ID, a recent photo, and an accepted form of payment for the $50 fee. If you’re suffering from financial hardship, you’ll be asked to show proof of income / hardship at the time of registration.
Medical Marijuana Caregivers In Massachusetts
As a medical marijuana patient in Massachusetts, you can choose to designate a caregiver to assist with the purchase of medical marijuana. You’re allowed to name up to two caregivers, but they can’t be working with other patients unless they are a family member.
When Can You Purchase Medical Marijuana In Massachusetts?
Once your medical marijuana application is accepted, you’ll receive a printable, temporary medical marijuana card online. While you’re waiting for your permanent card to arrive by mail, why waste time? Grab your temporary card and visit Nature’s Medicines.
Our Patient Service Providers will be happy to answer your questions and help you select the most helpful medical marijuana products. We have a medical marijuana dispensary in Fall River .